Men Having Babies Asia - 2020 Parenting Options for Asian Gay Men
Men Having Babies Asia - 2020 Parenting Options for Asian Gay Men
The 2nd annual MHB Asia returns with even more surrogacy parenting options in the USA and the debut of the Advocacy & Research Forum!
Men Having Babies (MHB) is an international non-profit organization that has helped thousands of gay men worldwide become biological parents. On October 2-3, 2020, in collaboration with local LGBT organization, MHB will return to Taipei to offer a comprehensive conference about parenting options for prospective Asian gay parents.
In addition to advice about parenting options, we offer in partnership with other organizations the Advocacy & Research Forum, to discuss the social, ethical, legal and empirical aspects of surrogacy and LGBT parenting.
More than 20 providers and community organizations will offer information on parenting options in the USA. In-depth programs will offer insights from the latest studies about contemporary gestational surrogacy in the United States, and specialty panels on insurance, budgeting, legal, medical and psychological aspects of surrogacy.
The program is based on a format MHB developed over the last 15 years in NY, Chicago, San Francisco, Barcelona, Brussels and Tel Aviv. Proceeds from sponsorship and exhibiting fees will benefit the Gay Parenting Assistance Program.
Note: while the event is organized by gay parenting organizations, non-gay prospective surrogacy parents are welcome and will no doubt highly benefit from it as well.
October 2, 2020: 08:30AM - 06:00PM, October 3, 2020: 08:00 AM - 01:30 PM.
The conference will take place at W Hotel Taipei,
10 Zhongxiao East Road Sec. 5, Xinyi District, Taipei.
The early bird advance cost is US$25 per person (instead of US$30 starting September 2, and US$35 the door) for prospective parents, and includes meals and receptions.
We strongly encourage advance registration - our events often sell out. It will also speed up your sign-in on the day of the event and allow us to send you program updates.
Online registration will end when we reach capacity, and no later than October 1.
Attendees can benefit from special group rates for hotel accommodations at the W Hotel (book by Oct 1)
The conference will be in English and Chinese, with simultaneous translation to both languages
Agenda in brief
Friday, October 2:
- 08:00 - 08:30AM: Registration
- 08:30 - 09:30AM: Planning your parenting journey - major legal, medical and financial considerations
- 09:30 - 10:00AM: Legal Panel
- 10:00 - 10:45AM: Expert panel: Budgeting and insurance (Sponsored by ART Risk)
- 10:45 - 11:00AM: Q&A session: The Gay Parenting Assistance Program (GPAP)
- 11:00 - 11:15AM: Coffee break
- 11:15AM - 12:45PM: Expert panel: Medical aspects of surrogacy (Sponsored by Pacific Fertility Center of Los Angeles)
- 12:45 - 01:30PM: Lunch (courtesy of San Diego Fertility Center) and gay parenting resource fair (tables of surrogacy agencies, clinics, lawyers and community organizations open until 04:30PM).
- 01:30 - 02:00PM: Picking providers, budgeting and financial assistance (GPAP)
- 02:00 - 03:00PM: Personal stories - hear from several surrogates and parents (Sponsored by HRC Fertility)
- 03:00 - 03:30PM: Coffee break (courtesy of Center for Surrogate Parenting)
- 03:30 - 06:00PM: Advocacy and Research Forum MHB 2020: LGBT Parenting in Taiwan: Facing social stigma and discrimination
In May 2019 Taiwan became the first country in Asia to legalize same-sex marriage. Yet, is the general public ready for LBGT individuals and couples to have children? What challenges will gay families encounter in their daily lives? Having succeeded in their struggle to have a child, how will LGBT parents face the stigma and discrimination of being a "gay family" in Taiwanese society?
Taiwan LGBT Family Rights Advocacy ("TLFRA") is honored to invite the following speakers to share their thoughts and suggestions about becoming parents with MHB participants. The speakers will discuss the current situation of gay parenting in Taiwan, possible challenges faced by LGBT parents, and corresponding strategies to respond to such challenges.
Daddy Luke, Taiwanese gay father
Dr. Yu-Ying Hu, Associate Professor of Gender Studies, Kaohsiung Medical University
Ms. Georgia Kuo, Loving Parents of LGBT Taiwan Association, Director
Ms. Hsuan-Ping (Reese) Li, Taiwan LGBT Family Rights Advocacy, Secretary General
- 06:00PM: Parents / Intended Parents’ Happy Hour (Sponsored by HRC Fertility)
Saturday, October 3:
- 08:00 - 08:45AM: Registration
- 08:45 - 09:00AM: Welcome and orientation
- 09:00 - 11:00AM: Breakout sessions - learn more about participating surrogacy providers
- 09:25AM - 01:30PM: Gay parenting resource fair (tables of surrogacy agencies, clinics, lawyers and community organizations).
- 11:00 - 11:30AM: Coffee break
- 11:30AM - 01:30PM: Drop-in interactive video consultations with exhibitors
Men Having Babies, Inc. is a nonprofit organization that was spun off in July 2012 from a program that ran at the NYC LGBT Center since 2005. It started as a peer support network for biological gay fathers and fathers-to-be, offering monthly workshops and an annual seminar. Over time, elaborate online resources were developed, the group’s mailing list expanded to about 2000 couples and singles from around the world, and it teamed up with LGBT family associations to develop similar programs in Chicago, San Francisco, LA, Barcelona, Tel Aviv and Brussels.
Our mission includes:
- The provision of educational and practical information to assist gay prospective parents achieve biological parenting.
- Promoting the affordability of surrogacy related services for gay men through financial assistance and the encouragement of transparency and customer feedback.
- Promoting surrogacy practices that minimize the risks and maximize the potential short and long-term benefits to all involved.
- Raising awareness about the potential benefits and meaningful relationships surrogacy arrangements can bring about.
Beyond the seminars and workshops, Men Having Babies runs several programs to promote its educational, advocacy and affordability mission, including:
- The Gay Parenting Financial Assistance Fund - grants, discounts and free services to gay men who require assistance in their quest for parenthood.
- The SurrogacyAdvisor directory of reviews and ratings of agencies and clinics.
- A Surrogacy Speakers Bureau - over 100 surrogacy parents who are willing to speak to the press about their experiences.
- A Community forum on Facebook for gay surrogacy dads, surrogates, and egg donors blogging about their surrogacy and parenting experience.
- Assistance in academic studies about gay parenting and surrogacy.